Roof Repair Prevention | Cincinnati Case Study 2/2
Cause of Roof Leaks
If you missed the first part of this story, feel free to catch it here: Roof Repair Overview | Cincinnati, Ohio Case Study 1/4. Roof Repair Prevention is key to ensure the longevity of your roof and ultimately your house.
The short story is that even a 4-year-old roof can fail quickly if improperly installed.
To salvage the roof, we first had to identify all the defects and potential weaknesses where the roof might fail.
We then repaired each issue individually so that the shingles will withstand their intended 25 to 30 year lifespan. Targeted roof repairs are still far less costly than replacing a section of the roof. In this case, they were less than the insurance deductible on this home.
Roof Leak Diagnosis Video
How to Prevent Expensive Roof Repairs
Repair Roof Shingles
Most roofing experts agree that you should inspect your roof at least twice per year. I suggest that one of those two inspections should be a physical inspection where a roof repair technician actually walks the surface of your roof, looking for the following abnormalities.
- Unsealed Nail Heads: Lazy roofers leave a nail head exposed. In time, that nail works loose and creates a pathway through the shingle.
- Misaligned shingles: Sloppy installation of shingles causes the adhesive tabs on the underside of the shingles not to touch. This prevents the shingle from adhering to the roof—making them easy prey during a windstorm.
- Failed Vent Boots and Flashing: Roof flashing installation is commonly installed incorrectly and does deteriorate over time. I’ve written an entire article and a video on this topic in particular: Roof Leak Diagnosis and Repair
- Missing Shingles: Sometimes missing roof shingles can be hard to spot with the naked eye because a dark color roof shingle may blend in with the dark colored tar paper used for roofing underlayment. Missing shingles must be replaced immediately. If you need help identifying wind damage to your shingles, read this: How to Spot Wind Damage to Your Roof
- Cupped, Cracked, Curled shingles: A sign of improperly installed, sealed or damaged shingles. Have these evaluated by roof repair professional.
One of your two yearly roof inspections can be visual, performed from the ground using a set of binoculars. You can see most of the major problems on your roof from the ground and determine if you need to place a call to a roof repair company for further investigation. This will save you time and money while helping spot roof problems before they result in a roof leak.
Continuing Reading this Cincinnati Case Study on Roof Repair
Need Help with a Roof Repair?
Maintaining your roof is one of the most important home repair chores to reduce unnecessary expense resulting from water damage to your home. Unfortunately, most roof repairs aren’t for the average Do-It-Yourselfer. Danger of working off of ladders, heights and steep inclines make roof repair something most homeowners should leave to the professional. If you have any questions, give us a call at 513-724-0539, visit us at www.MasterMyList.com and check out our new Facebook page, keyword “ProMaster Craftsmen.”